[Rocks-Discuss] Rocks 5.1 - configure compute node 2nd ethernet at install time

Moore, Michael Michael.Moore at lifetech.com
Wed Dec 9 10:39:12 PST 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: npaci-rocks-discussion-bounces at sdsc.edu [mailto:npaci-rocks-discussion-bounces at sdsc.edu] On Behalf Of Greg Bruno
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 1:08 PM
To: Discussion of Rocks Clusters
Subject: Re: [Rocks-Discuss] Rocks 5.1 - configure compute node 2nd ethernet at install time

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Greg Bruno <greg.bruno at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:13 AM, Moore, Michael
> <Michael.Moore at lifetech.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>  I've been searching to see how this could be done, but I have not been able to find anything yet.  Here is my problem.  I'm looking to change my extend-compute.xml file to enable the automatic configuration of the second ethernet ports on my compute nodes at the time of installing new nodes.  I know what I need to do on the head node (combo of rocks and dbreport commands) to configure the second ethernet port AFTER the node is installed, but what about at install?  I know there used to be a "add-extra-nic" program that you could run, but that is no longer available.
>>
>>  The head node is already configured with the network settings in the rocks database for a 2nd private network.
>
> this can be done with a series of 'rocks add host interface' and
> 'rocks set host interface' commands. for example, something like:
>
> # /opt/rocks/bin/rocks add host interface compute-0-2 eth1
> # /opt/rocks/bin/rocks set host interface ip compute-0-2 eth0 1.2.3.4
> # /opt/rocks/bin/rocks set host interface name compute-0-2 eth1 compute-0-2
> # /opt/rocks/bin/rocks set host interface mac compute-0-2 eth1 36:77:6e:c0:00:04
> # /opt/rocks/bin/rocks set host interface module compute-0-2 eth1 xennet
> # /opt/rocks/bin/rocks set host interface subnet compute-0-2 eth1 private

i forgot to add, that after you execute the above lines and if the
compute node is already up, you apply the network configuration
on-the-fly with:

    # rocks sync host network compute-0-2

 - gb

Hi Greg,

  I'm doing this already after the node is installed.  I am looking for a way to do this when I add a new node automatically, not after the node is running.  I want to integrate it into my extend-compute.xml file.  I know that the 2nd ethernet interface is being discovered as it is already in the database, I just need to configure the settings for it (ip, name, subnet).

- Mike