[Rocks-Discuss] Rocks 5: unable to contact qmaster using port 536

Jens Hannemann j.hannemann at ieee.org
Thu May 29 21:03:09 PDT 2008

Hi folks,

I have a fresh install of Rocks 5.

Unfortunately, the sge_qmaster fails to start. It immediately bailed
out on me as the external hostname (in our case efrafa.audio,
configured originally by DHCP during the install) as returned by the
hostname command did not match the internal hostname (efrafa.local)
that has been written to /opt/gridengine/default/common/act_qmaster .

I fixed that by using the internal hostname in /etc/sysconfig/network.

Now, the script gets along further, but then reports the following:

--- snip ---

-bash-3.1# service sgemaster start
    starting sge_qmaster

sge_qmaster didn't start!
Please check the messages file

    starting sge_schedd
error: commlib error: can't connect to service (Connection refused)
error: getting configuration: unable to contact qmaster using port
536 on host "efrafa.local"
error: can't get configuration from qmaster -- backgrounding

--- snap ---

Any thoughts on that? And should I file a bug report on the first issue?

Thanks,

Jens